After-School All-Stars collects data to measure the impact of its comprehensive programming both through school-level academic data, as well as national survey data. Our impact areas focus on our four national initiatives (Sports as a Hook, We are Ready, Career Exploration Opportunities, and Life Service Action), as well as social-emotional development and academic outcomes furthered through our comprehensive program model.
In 2015, a national end-of-year survey was administered to 2,475 ASAS participants. Results are displayed below.
Moving into the 2015-16 school year, ASAS will be launching a national system for longitudinal tracking of student academic outcomes through high school.
SPORTS AS A HOOK (SAAH)
After-School All-Stars aims to increase student physical activity, enhance health and nutritional knowledge, and help students build healthy eating habits through our SAAH programming. 2015 national survey responses of SAAH participants show:
• 88% better understand how to make good choices about health and nutrition
• 80% eat more fruits and vegetables
• 83% exercise more than they used to
WE ARE READY (WAR)
After-School All-Stars seeks to increase students’ knowledge of what to expect in high school, build strong study habits, and foster high levels of school engagement and educational aspirations through our WAR programming. 2015 national survey responses of WAR participants show:
• 92% try harder in their classes
• 91% better understand what to expect in high school
• 94% better understand strategies for good study skills
• 72% aspire to earn a Bachelor’s degree or higher
CAREER EXPLORATION OPPORTUNITIES (CEO)
After-School All-Stars aims to increase students’ knowledge of career options, enhance job skills, and develop financial literacy for youth in our CEO programs. 2015 national survey responses of CEO participants show:
• 92% better understand jobs or careers they might like to have when they are older
• 90% are more confident in their ability to make smart decisions about saving and spending money
• 81% better understand how to interview for a job
LIFE SERVICE ACTION (LSA)
After-School All-Stars seeks to engage participants in community volunteer work and support youth as agents of change through our LSA programs. 2015 national survey responses of LSA participants show:
• 90% are more confident in their ability to make a difference in their community
• 74% now volunteer